Thursday, October 16, 2014

BREAKING ED HABITS : All or nothing mindset

I'm either a failure or I'm not. But I have failed so many times. I am a failure.

Yeah, you're not the only one who has those thoughts. I have them too, honestly, I guess I mean or else I wouldn't be suffering from a psychological illness too right? I'm sure many of us have this problem, and it's evident. In Instagram news feeds and like through conversations, it's obvious many of us have this mindset, not only people with like depression or eating disorders.

It's a tough thing to do but you've got to break this habit. Personally I used to think that if I accepted myself for who I was, I'd be a cocky and arrogant person. I used to think that if I said my results were quite good, I was proud. If I said I was quite ok looking, I was vain. Sometimes I still think that way to be honest, I won't deny. But I've realized that that's not true, rather if you are "over humble", people dislike you and find you annoying.

Just think of a classmate who always topped the class and exclaims after an exam that "Sure fail one lah"


I'm sure topping the class is possible with an F grade.

Haha honestly feel a little like a hypocrite when I say that because I kinda think sometimes I do that too, but that's why I want to change this "All or nothing" mindset of mine.

Just because you're not underweight anymore doesn't mean you're fat. So you're saying your best friend is fat. Your mom is fat. Your dad is fat. Your sisters and brothers are fat. The whole world is fat? Besides fats and appearance doesn't depend on your weight! (Read on WHY WEIGHT DOESN'T MATTER HERE!). 

And just because you b/p once, or twice, or s/h once or twice and broke your streak doesn't make you a failure. There is absolutely NO ONE who recovered totally smoothly. Looking back at my "sample dietitian meal plan" in which I didn't use because I went for therapy and opted out of dietitian meal plans, it was actually so so little. But over that meal plan I literally cried and like totally ignored my dietician for the rest of that appointment, throwing a tantrum at her and everyone around me. 

Look, we have to all accept that we screw up here and there. But one action doesn't determine you. One habit doesn't determine you. People change and people can change, I know it's difficult to try to be positive and think on the bright side sometimes but everything that's not a habit takes effort to do right? Everyone has inertia, everyone is resistant to change. No one likes stepping out of their comfort zone, not even extroverts. Try asking an extrovert to shut up for a whole week, I bet after 10 minutes they'd give up haha.

Either way, be it if you have depression, an eating disorder, self harm tendencies or none of the above, if you have a all or nothing mindset, you'll never feel happy and fulfilled in life. You'll always feel like there is something bad in everyday, you'll always feel like you're never a "non-failure". But you need to realize that's not true. Life is never a smooth sail 24/7.

If I failed an exam by 1 mark, and told you that I'm a failure in life, what would you tell me? Tell that to yourself too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment